Cascade Public Media is looking for a dedicated staff writer to join its Arts and Culture team and provide coverage about Seattle, Puget Sound and the Pacific Northwest. This person is not a critic but an experienced writer who is enterprising, curious and well-connected — someone who can provide thoughtful and thorough coverage of the arts and cultural scene of the region through short and long-term profiles, trend, explanatory and/or investigative stories. The ideal candidate embraces a broad definition of what falls under arts and culture coverage and is committed to exploring how arts/culture intersects with race and underrepresented communities. The candidate also holds a deep knowledge of the local arts scene in all its diversity and has a proven track record of beat coverage.
Key Job Responsibilities
- In partnership with three other journalists, greatly contribute to the Crosscut arts and culture beat and deliver a steady stream of stories pitched by you and/or assigned by the Arts/Culture Editor.
- Prioritizes excellence in written storytelling and is well-versed in story planning, research and in-depth reporting.
- Provide and expand upon a network of contacts across the regional arts and culture scene that can help to identify stories that are not being covered by mainstream media outlets.
- Serve as a champion for Seattle and Washington State’s rich arts and culture scene and ardent community; push for compelling story coverage of unique issues and help Crosscut seize related editorial, partner and community opportunities.
- Collaborate with video producers, photographers, audience engagement editors and web designers to shape stories that are visually compelling and incorporate a range of multimedia.
- Adhere to the strictest of journalistic and organizational ethical standards for fairness, thoroughness and quality.
- Serve as a Crosscut representative at community and partner events, industry gatherings and in other formal settings.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media, business or a related field or equivalent experience required.
- At least three years of experience as a writer or editor in a deadline-oriented environment; arts and culture-related strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with peers; significant experience organizing and managing multiple priorities, and in developing and managing projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics and practices, with nonprofit or public media experience preferred.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time.
3. Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.
Our Diversity Commitment
We are committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background. Read our complete diversity commitment statement here.